Get to know Jim and Rita Henderson! Check out the interview below (in Jim’s voice, on behalf of both of them) and then read their entire bios on our staff page.
1. How did you first learn about Compassion Corps?
Jim, Rita & their daughter, Isa…During the 2011 Wheels for Wells trip.
Rita and I participated in the administrative arm of Wheels for Wells. We were introduced to the project by a lifelong friend, Chris Carr (Compassion Corps’ Director of Marketing).
2. What made you want to get involved originally?
We both were flabbergasted after becoming aware of the level of need not being met in northern Africa.
3. What is your role on staff?
Rita and I are currently serving in the Student Sponsorship and Marketing Teams, respectively.
4. What has been your favorite aspect of/favorite memory during your experience working with Compassion Corps?
The people of Compassion Corps are our favorite part of working with this organization. They are old friends and new friends all striving toward unified goals.
5. What is the hardest part about being a Compassion Corps volunteer?
Isa & Hot Chocolate (dog), completing the 2013 Orphan Day 5k!
Finding the time to dedicate with so many other things going on in our lives.
6. Which project/s do you feel particularly strongly about? Why?
Clean water-related projects and Student Sponsorship
7. If you could describe Compassion Corps in one word, what would it be?
8. What is one interesting fact about you?
Rita and I are college sweethearts.
9. Have you been overseas with Compassion Corps? To what country(ies)? What lasting memory do you have?
10. If there is one thing that you could say to others about why or how they might become involved, what would you say?